Sunday, September 29, 2013
Saturday, September 28, 2013
Friday, September 27, 2013
Thursday, September 26, 2013
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
This is acrylic on paper. It responds completely differently. The paint dries pretty much when it hits the paper, so you better have it where you want it.
I don't know if I'd call it an improvement, but at least he looks concluded.
(Once you see it online you can spot a lot of things that need to be redone. Yikes, I don't know what happened to his right eye, it shouldn't look like it's solid - I'm blaming it on Photoshop because it doesn't look like that in real life.)
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Monday, September 23, 2013
Sunday, September 22, 2013
I picked up a small piece of Masonite that I had prepped and started a little portrait on it. This is another photo clipped from the newspaper of an interesting face.
The problem with Masonite is that its too smooth. It has no texture, even when there's a first coat of acrylic. So, when I started painting with acrylics on it I had nothing but problems.
First, I picked some easier colors to work with - Alizarin Crimson, Lemon Yellow and Cobalt Blue. There was still some leftover Zinc White and Prussian Blue still on my palette from yesterday.
Alizarin Crimson and Lemon Yellow are very transparent, so when I started making flesh tones with them and applying it to Masonite, I could see every brush stroke. Which means, that if you make one small mistake it really shows up and will continue to show up layer after layer. And, of course, I'm a sloppy painter, so there is nothing but lots of mis-strokes.
I tried and tried, letting a layer dry and trying again. But the mistakes just kept showing through.
Finally, in frustration, I took my rag and just started wiping the face clean. Whoa! I liked the way it looked after a few rubs. I was surprised it didn't look as bad as I thought. So, I'm posting it as a face.
This is Roger.
Someday I may return to him.
Saturday, September 21, 2013
I saw the photo of this interestingly round face in the newspaper. I couldn't resist cutting it out and filed it. I found it today and used it as one of my faces for the month.
He looked like he deserved a real painting - acrylics on canvas. I decided to use a limited palette of some new colors I picked up because they were on sale - Quinacridone Violet and Yellow Ochre. To that I added my faithful Prussian Blue and of course some Zinc White.
Let me just say, it was not easy. They headed towards the greys really fast. But, all in all, I think it worked out okay. After all, it's all about the value.
This is 5" by 7" acrylics on canvas. His name is Frank.
Friday, September 20, 2013
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Monday, September 16, 2013
Sunday, September 15, 2013
Saturday, September 14, 2013
Friday, September 13, 2013
Thursday, September 12, 2013
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Someone challenged me to take one of my little sketches and turn it into a print. I've been thinking about it for quite a while and putting it off. Now seemed like a good time to experiment.