Sunday, September 06, 2026

LUNCH WITH A BIRD

 A Coopers Hawk flew quickly and closely by as it swooped into our backyard while Darrell and I were having lunch on the deck.  I thought it was carrying something.  It landed in the trees in the back of our yard.  With binoculars I got a closer look.  It was a Coopers Hawk and it appeared to have a pigeon.  

We left it alone.  Later we found evidence that it did indeed enjoy it's pigeon lunch.  When Darrell went to dispose of the remains he noticed it had a band on it's leg.  

I did some searching online and found the band was distributed by a Pigeon Racing Association.  There was a phone number for reporting the band number  and I called it.  That person told me the band was sold to someone in Seattle.  I called him and let him know of  his pigeon's demise.  "Dang", he said.




No comments:

Post a Comment