Monday, February 29, 2016


I glued basted all of the pieces in my to-go kits today (two blocks).

Sunday, February 28, 2016


This is the first block with the borders on.

Friday, February 26, 2016


Okay, I've come up with a plan for how to put together my "New Hexagon Blocks"....

I opened up Electric Quilt and tried fooling around in there to determine how many blocks I'd need and what size.  But, Electric Quilt is not that friendly for trying things using hexagons.  Their program has just the bare minimums for figuring hexagon quilts.  But, I was able to come up with a rudimentary plan.

I'm going to put a border around each hex block, just like they are doing in Katja's Project.  But, I'm not going to be doing it the way they are.  I'm going to paper piece the border on - which means I need the paper pieces.  I did some calculating and figuring and drew and cut out some pieces to see if it would work.

Each block will have one of a different taupe, beige, tan or gray fabric that is in the group.  So, I went ahead and cut a bunch of strips off the fabrics to set aside.

Then I sent off an email to to ask about having those pieces custom made.  We'll see if that is affordable or not.   Considering I need almost 600 pieces, it will probably be very worth it.  We'll see.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016


I thought I'd make up some little to-go kits to take to work with me next week.  I'm hoping I will have some time to work on them a little there.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016


I'm still working on the blocks for this quilt a little at a time.
It only takes about 30-40 minutes to make a block.

Here's number 16:

Here's all of the blocks on the design wall, half done:

Monday, February 22, 2016


This is going faster than I'd have thought.   The glue basting is a big time saver.
It's also nice that these have been big pieces.

In Katja's project, she has you applique these finished blocks onto a quilt sandwich and then hand quilt them.  Then you can sew each little finished quiltlet to each other and make it any size you wanted. 

I've gone round and round about this and I've decided I don't want to do that, so I need to come up with another plan. 

Thursday, February 18, 2016


I stopped on my way home from work and bought some Roxanne's Glue Baste-It, which made everything go so much faster!

I made a copy on thick paper of the first 20 or so patterns.

Here's my first two of Block One:

Tuesday, February 16, 2016


I've been charmed by the interesting English Paper Piecing quilts that people have been making lately.  So, I'm making the big commitment to do my Cincinnati quilt in that style.
I choose Katja Marek's book The New Hexagon and the Quiltalong program Blocks on the Go at

So, I sent away for the book and the first two sets of paper pieces.  

I want to make more copies of the Hexies so I can make multiples of each block and decided to cut the spine off the book and put it into a binder, thus making it easier and more accurate to photocopy the pages.

The Cincinnati Fabrics!