Saturday, July 15, 2017

SOLSTICE QUILT QUILTED

It took all week, but I got the last of it quilted this morning.

I took it off the machine and trimmed the batting off and squared it up.  It turned out great.



I started thinking about binding - what was I going to use?

My fallback was using the ugly plaid I put on the back - it sort of matches, but not really.

As I was making the binding (what a pain flannel is) it occurred to me that maybe a print would look good - especially a toile, a white with blue toile de Jouy.  I have some, somewhere.  When I looked through my stash I came up with 3 or 4 that might work, but I did not have enough to do the whole binding.  What about a solid?  I looked through my solids stash - nothing.

But I have a sample card for Kona Cotton Solids.  There are 303 color swatches on it - there's got to be one that matches, right?  Well, as it turns out, there is one that's sort of close.  That means I have to go order it and wait for it to get here.


Thursday, July 13, 2017

QUILTING SOLSTICE QUILT

I've been working on quilting the Solstice Challenge Quilt all week, putting in an hour or two everyday.
Some days were a real challenge with a lot of picking out and re-doing and even some machine failures.

Jelly was curious and wanted to see what I was doing.

I'm not sure why, but my bobbin got all tangled up and froze.

After I cut away the bobbin thread, this was under the quilt.

The first block in the Challenge.
 At one point, the machine starting making funny clunking noises.  When I pulled it to the side, these parts flew off....

It took me a few minutes to figure out where they came from.

Oh, it's the thread guide that goes around the needle.

Luckily, I found the tiny little screw that holds it all together and after several attempts and adjustments, I managed to get it back where it belongs.  And tightened down very tight.

Quilt on.




Thursday, July 06, 2017

SOLSTICE TOP FINISHED

I got the top all sewn together on the Solstice Quilt Challenge and made the back.  I even gave it a label.  

I loaded the back onto the machine, but I'm waiting on some batting.


Wednesday, July 05, 2017

COUCH ARM COVERS

Finished and installed!  Now I won't have to hang quilts over the leather couch to keep those pesky cats from tearing up its arms.  And it looks much neater, too.





Tuesday, July 04, 2017

HOME PROJECT CONTINUED

I got the couch arm covers quilted and sewed together.  I still need to finish the binding.









Monday, July 03, 2017

HOME PROJECT

We have a leather couch in the livingroom.  We have cats.  The two do not mix.  Consequently, our couch is always covered with quilts to keep them from scratching the leather.  The quilts are always falling off, and they just look messy.

I'm making some fitted quilted covers for the arms.

I bought the really thick batting from Dream Cotton, supreme, and am using a Kona Cotton color that matches the couch.

I've got several hours into the quilting (I'm going really slowly) doing a clamshell design.

But there is a lot of stopping and starting - which is good, I'm learning to pull up the bobbin thread and tie-off - but that means there is a lot of threads being cut and thrown on the floor.

Threads on the floor, and my Clamshell ruler.
I've had some issues on this project.  (It's all a learning experience).

I'll post pictures of the finished project, if it turns out!