Wow, I was really hating this quilt top and just wanted to finish it and get it off my wall. It looked very disjointed and lacking.
I knew it needed a border, but I did not have enough of one of the fabrics to make even a narrow border. So, I went with a scrappy one -and-a-half-inch-squares border. I cut up a bunch of squares from all of the fabrics I used in the quilt top - except for the whites.
I think it really improved it. Its not one of my favorites and has really turned me off to this kind of quilt - a mystery sew along. I would have done a few things differently if I knew what it was going to look like from the beginning.
Here it is: