Saturday, April 27, 2024

COLOR REMOVER

I recently bought some fabric online.  I was a bit disappointed when it arrived - it was darker than I had wanted.  It was suggested by a friend that I try using Rit Color Remover to tone it down.  That sounded like a great idea.  Here's what happened.

The directions and reviews were adamant about doing this process outside because of the fumes.  So I took my hot plate and big dyeing pot outside and got some hot water started.  The water needed to be above 200*.  It was suggested to bring it to boiling.  I waited and waited and waited.  I finally got out my food thermometer - it was 160*.  It never got any hotter than that.  After waiting for over an hour, I gave up and boiled the water in the house and then took it outside to the hot plate and stirred in the solution.  That was going to be as good as it was going to get.


The instant I put the blue fabric into the solution it turned a dark yellow brown.  Oh my - not what I was expecting!  I left it in the solution for the required 20 minutes, hoping it might revert to the light blue I was wanting.  Ha!  That didn't happen.


After I took that fabric out, I dipped, very quickly, a plum colored fabric in, hoping it would turn a shade or two lighter.  Boom, it turned yellow too! A beige yellow.  But, the yellow fabric I dipped next did turn a lighter yellow.

Experiment Fail:


That yellow and white fabric will not worked for what I wanted it for, so it will end up in the pile set aside to use as backings.

No comments:

Post a Comment