Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SELF-PORTRAIT AS TREE

I signed up for this exchange on Barenforum months and months ago. It sounded like a really good idea at the time. I didn't think February 1st would come so quickly!

I put it off, and put it off until I ran out of time. Of course I did. It's the only way I ever get anything accomplished!


The first challenge was the paper size - 16" by 5-1/2" in a vertical format.

Tall and thin...that's perfect for trees - but not for my self-image of short and wide!

The second challenge is, of course, the self-portrait. I started thinking about what kind of tree I'd be, if I were a tree. Hmmmm.

After much reflection I decided I'd be a Willow, with very deep roots.

The next challenge is coming up with a do-able image. Not too complicated, limited colors, easy to translate into a print. I started with some colored pens and a web-search for pictures of willows. I arrived at this stylized version that I really like.

Everything went fine until my subconscious took over.


I don't know why but I drew a little fallen branch......my Moe.



From then on, anytime I worked on this project, I cried. I miss her so much.

My head pounded, I thought I was coming down with the flu and I cried.


Every step seemed to have it's own complications. But, I persevered, I was running out of time.


After I put them into the mail I realized, my head had stopped pounding and I was feeling pretty good, actually. I guess I had needed to work out some of my sorrow. Or I had put it into the print.

I don't know. I still miss her, but I don't cry at the drop of a hat anymore.




No comments:

Post a Comment