Monday, November 26, 2012

TWO QUILTS A-QUILTING

I'm making two Alphabet quilts for grandchildren for Christmas.  I spent a good amount of time with them this week and got them both to the point where I can do the quilting on them.  I'm using fabrics that I already had on hand.  You can read more about the Boy's quilt on my previous post.  I ended up having to purchase more fabric (which is against my rules), some for the back of the boy's (I didn't have any big enough pieces and didn't want to piece together a hodgepodge of so-so fabrics).  I also didn't have anything that would work for the girl's sashing, so ended up at West Seattle Fabrics where I found a light greenish/grey that turned out really nice (2 yards at $10.99/yd). [I'm only mentioning the prices for historical reasons]


Boys top 
Boy's back, I bought this fabric at Pacific Fabrics.  I found it on the flat fold table at the discounted price of $6.99/yd.  I bought it all, 2-5/8 yards and used almost all of it.  The rest is pieced from leftovers from the top.  It's a bit busy, but the colors match great!

Boy's label for the back
Pinning the Boy's quilt
Trimming off the excess batting after pinning.




 I have this great stack of "Art Nouveau" fabrics that I had hardly ever used.  I love these fabrics, I probably bought them around 2000,  and thought they would make a great little girl's quilt.  I ended up having to add the dark fabrics so the letters would pop. I think this one turned out great.  I hope she likes it as much as Darrell and I do.

Girl's top
Label for the back of Girl's quilt.
Pinning the Girl's quilt on the floor of my studio.

I had a 1/2 yard of fabric from the collection that I hadn't used on the top, but will work perfectly for the binding.  Here I'm cutting the continuous bias-binding.  See more about how I make binding at:
How to make Binding.


I quilted the sashing and around the edges, trimmed it, made the binding and got it ready to take with me and in my spare time I can work on hand-sewing down the binding to the back, the only part I do by hand.





2 comments:

  1. Nice work on both of them! Good to see another quilter/printmaker!

    ReplyDelete