Sunday, October 28, 2012

FIRST ALPHABET QUILT

You can see from the title of this post that I'm planning more than one of these quilts.  Yep, I'm making at least two, one for a boy and one for a girl.  They will be Christmas presents.  So, don't tell.

This first one is made from a stack of fabrics I've had for years, waiting for that 'special' project.  I believe I bought the fabrics at Quilt Market long, long ago when I used to go to those things.  The fabrics used for the sashing and background have "Westfalenstoffe" on the selvedge.  There are also some very nice woven plaids, beautiful colors.  I bought them all at the same time, so I'm going to assume they are also Westfalenstoffe (and if I'm not mistaken, they were pretty pricey...but well worth it).  Added to this pile is a lime green batik (I love this fabric and had to add it, even though it's cold to the touch) and an odd little 'zoo' fabric from Rose & Hubble (one of my favorite lines).



I posted a teaser to my facebook page when I started cutting fabrics for the blocks.  It's so nice to have a studio where you don't have to worry about making a mess!


I started this quilt in Electric Quilt, I even scanned in the fabrics.  This is the first project I've used this new version for and I'm having fun.  This quilt is pretty simple and it will help me get used to using the features in the program. One of the nicest features for this project was the fabric calculator, which tells you how much of each fabric you will need.  Most of the fabrics in this collection were pretty small pieces.  I did have one yard cuts of the blue stripe and yellow stripe (which I used for sashing and background), but because of the calculator I had to revise how I used them, or I wouldn't have had enough.  (But, I must say, even with all the pre-planning in EQ until I was satisfied, I still ended up doing a few different fabric placements).

Here it is - I'm pretty happy with it!


I started thinking about making a back for it, when I came up with a great idea...how about the numbers on the back?  Back to EQ7 I go!


No comments:

Post a Comment