Friday, September 12, 2014

WRAPPING BOARDS

I want to paint a bunch of faces.

I want them all on the same size canvas.  Square.

I priced the 10" by 10" wrapped canvases and decided they were too expensive and I would just get some Masonite and ask my sweet husband to cut it into 10" squares.  Which he did.

Then it occurred to me that I don't really like painting on masonite, it's too smooth.  I don't like the way the paint goes on.

I thought a lot about different ways to get some 'tooth' or texture onto the boards.

I thought, I could wrap them in canvas.  But, I'd have to buy a bunch of canvas.  Expensive again.

I thought, I have lots and lots of fabric.  I could just wrap them in fabric!  That might even be really interesting.  It opens up lots of possibilities.

Then I did a lot of thinking about how to do it, to wrap the fabric on and have it adhere, no bubbles.

So, I've been putting it off for a while now.

Darrell (husband) did his part, he cut the squares out long ago.  They've been sitting there, waiting.


So, today, I looked through my fabric stash and found some sacrificial fabric that I know I'll never use.  There was probably two yards there.  Doesn't matter what it looks like, it will be getting painted over.

I wrapped two boards today just to see how it went.  I glued it down with acrylic matte medium.  It went way better than I thought it would.




2 comments:

  1. Will be interesting to see how you work this out. My daughter has a lovely little painting of a bird on printed fabric. Most of the fabric, or a lot of it is left unpainted and it is very nice. (and this is Sharri, not Francis, but I can't get google straightened out!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I paint on masonite I first gesso then do the painting on the backside...it seals it and the gessoed backside has a texture much like canvas.

    ReplyDelete