Saturday, August 29, 2015

BINDING FOR 'MARCH INTO MAY' QUILT

After I finished up the quilting on the border and trimming it I started in on the binding.  Making binding is one of the funnest things to do, even though it's sort of a pain.  For a better how-to go to this post.




First, I iron then cut about 3/4 of a yard of my hand dyed purple leftovers.  Then I cut a 45 degree angle across it and sew the square sides together, then iron the seam open and mark 2-1/4" lines all across it.

Then I pin every line together, offset by one.  You end up with a big skewed tube when you sew it together.

Then I press open that seam, which is difficult, because it's a tube.

Then I cut along the line...

And you end up with a very long strip of bias tape.

Iron in half right sides together...



Then I throw the binding into the center of the quilt, line up the raw edges with the edge of the quilt I sew it down using a walking foot.  
 Now the binding's all sewn on, it's ready to be hand sewn down on the back and it will be considered completely finished!















No comments:

Post a Comment