Sunday, August 30, 2015


I thought I might take on the big project of pinning my Lexington quilt together today since the rains are coming (so they say).

I cleaned the floor in the studio and taped the back down.  I spread the huge kingsize batting down over it and smoothed it out.  Next, I started to put the top on and realized that the back was too small.

Aaargh!  I hate when that happens.

I stewed for a little while, then got out my box of leftovers from the quilt top and started cutting and piecing together little pieces.  This is so annoying because the rest of the back is made from large-sized pieces.  Adding these smaller pieces is going to look like exactly what it is:  trying to make it bigger because I didn't plan it very well.

Adding a pieced border to one side.
So, I added six inches to one side, laid it back down on the floor then put the top over it, just to be sure and it still wasn't big enough.  Actually I noticed that it was really close going the other direction, too.

I'm all out of usable fabrics leftover from the top...

So, the best thing to do is put a border all the way across both sides.  I didn't think I had any pieces big enough left of the solid greens I had hand dyed. So...

I looked through my stash and found a big piece of green print.  It's actually one of my favorite fabrics.  I've had it for a long that I stop and think about it, I probably bought it in 1999 or 2000 and used a little bit for a project I remember making about that time.  This fabric is perfect.  The greens match great and the print is of small circular markings and that will mimic the pattern on the front of the quilt.

Cutting six inch strips to add to two of the sides.
I had to move Bentley off the ironing board onto my chair and then back again.
Ironing the newly added border.

Here it is with the two added borders - looks great.


  1. Been there more than once - what a pain! But you did good in the end.

    1. Thank you Janis! I'm hoping I don't have 'ruffling' problems. I'll have to be very careful about quilting it out there on that new border. I was in a hurry (and annoyed) when I put the borders on. Oh, well.