Thursday, February 04, 2010


After receiving some very helpful critiques in class, I'm re-doing these last few Snitzels.

They thought the Boxes was too boring, I agree.  It was just the beginning.  It needed definition and focus.  So I cut out the basic shape and bordered it with an interesting black with colored lines fabric.  I used a Pigma pen to draw the perspective lines in, as this had been my plan all along.  I just couldn't decide whether to do it in pen or on the sewing machine with thread.  I went with the pen because I figured I wouldn't be able to get really straight lines on the machine.  I glued the pieces down with Roxanne's Glue Baste-It.  I love the little applicator tip, it's very handy. I had to learn not to squeeze too hard, because the tip is so small, the glue is forced out around the cap.  Unfortunately, I went a little nuts with the glue, putting little dots everywhere on the back, and I ended up with little dots soaked through to the front of the fabric.

I then tried out a bunch of different fabrics to 'square' it up with:

This was fun!  Now I just have to figure out which one, and how to cut it out and sew it on.  Hmmm.

The Drops is giving me fits.  I don't like the way it looks.  I'm frustrated trying to make the 'drops' look spherical and drop-like.  Jean (the teacher) suggested that I make the whole thing smaller, which is the first step.  I cut down the background and then started over making the drops.  I decided to make them all from the same fabrics.  I went back to my original photo and really looked at it and started again.

Here is where I ended up.  I'm liking it a little more.  I think what I want to do now is gradate the transition from one fabric to the next using a zigzag thread technique with gray threads.  I want to show it to the class the way it is first, though, to get their opinions.  

1 comment: