The above picture is the finished project. Below are the process pictures. I did some research about systems for storing my fabric stash. I had criteria - I wanted to be able to see the fabric and get to it easily; I wanted the bins deep as possible because of the layout of the room's sloping ceiling. That end isn't really usable space without stooping down. I found this wire basket system through Organizeit.com. It was expensive, but simple to install - a choice of time or money. Being short of time, or should I say, Darrell being short of time, I decided to go for it.
Darrell built the simple four section box, and installed the 'ladders' that the baskets slide on. We found the other cabinets for free on Craigslist and he built toe-kicks for them, installed them and put new countertops of MDF edged with mahogany.
I spent several days painting the inside of the old cabinets white and painting the outsides, and putting shellac on the top of the counters.
At the last minute, I decided it might be fun to add some color - that short wall behind the new cabinets never really got painted properly. I stopped at Rodda on the way home one day and picked up some dark yellow (gold) paint - it's called 'Hacienda Clay'. I was surprised at how 'warm' it ended up being up against the already warm amber shellac. Oh, well.
Now I just have to lug all my fabric up there, re-fold it, and organize it.