Friday, April 16, 2010


I took the worst of the prints on cotton that I did with the Litho method, and over-sewed it with black thread outlining and creating shadows.  I was really concerned I wouldn't be able to do it and make it look 'right', that's why I started with the worst print.  I don't like the wrinkles in it. I think they are confusing and detract from the portrait - that's that vertical line in the middle of the forehead.  It shouldn't be there, but it's in the print.
I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out not too bad.  It was like drawing with a pencil, but a lot slower!  I had the machine going full-throttle, poor thing.  But it's a trooper and so far it's still going great.  I love my Bernina.  I might get out my other one though and abuse it and let this old one be used just for making quilts.

Next I moved on to the failed attempt to do chine-collé with fabric.  I had taken that horrible wreck of a project and overlaid it with pink gauze that I had printed with the portrait.  I lined the print up with the fabric 'face' underneath and then proceeded to draw on it with thread.  I didn't do as much sewing on this, I just wanted to outline, but ended up doing a little more than that.    Here it is:
You can see the colored fabrics underneath the gauze overlay.   I don't know where to go with it from here.  It's on canvas, I could put it on stretcher bars.


1 comment: