Saturday, December 30, 2017

A WHOLE BOBBIN - A WHOLE QUILT

I've been working on getting the center panel of Snowball blocks sewn together.  I think I finished that up the other day.  

Today I started adding the borders and got it all put together.  A quilt in a day!

Center panel of Snowball blocks with first border.

With two borders - the second being a fussy cut flower border.

Then the third border - a wide 8" of flowers.

The next border is purple polka dots.

You know how when you're sewing the border on you run out of bobbin just before the end?  I hate that, you've got it all pinned and are removing the pins as you sew that long seam and then you realize you're out of bobbin thread and haven't really been sewing it together for a while and you have to repin it and wind a new bobbin and start all over?

Well, I kept thinking that was going to happen on every one of these borders as I put them on.  I kept checking and checking, but no.  The bobbin thread just kept going!  And then I started thinking I'd make it to the end of the quilt without running out and it would be a red letter day, but no.  I ran out of thread about 8-1/2" shy of finishing the last seam.  Wouldn't you know it!  


The finished top with the last border of more fussy cut flowers.
This pattern is straight out of Kaffe Fassett's book "Quilts in Ireland".  He calls it "Contrast Brassica Snowballs" - or Brass Balls for short.  (kidding!)

I don't know what I'm going to name it.   Any ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment