Friday, September 22, 2017

FIRST HALF

I thought I might dye some fabrics for the back of the Chain Reaction quilt.  I haven't done that in a while!  So I re-read parts of my favorite book, Fabric Dyer's Dictionary by Linda Johansen.  I can't say enough about this book, it has made dyeing fabric so easy for me.  Love it!


So, I got a yard each of fabric into three different dye baths right after breakfast.  Then I got to thinking about ice dyeing.  I decided to go ahead and do another yard that way.  It's always amazing how it turns out.


I prepared a yard with soda ash and salt and put it into tray.


Then over the tray goes an old window screen, then the ice goes on top of the screen.

Then I added some of the leftover liquid dyes from the other dye bags (lots of golden yellow) and some other dry dyes, mainly fuschia, orange and peach.  I dribbled a little bit of the liquid cobalt on there, too.

Several hours later, as ice melts, it looks to me like I didn't have enough dye powders on here, so I added some more.

More dyes added and I poured more liquid cobalt into one end, hoping it would mix with yellows to create greens.   I don't think that is what's going to happen, so later I tilted the tray to keep cobalt away from fabric.

Now, we'll have to wait until morning to see how it all turns out.

And, while all that is percolating, I sewed the second quadrant of the Fancy Forest and sewed the two upper quadrants together.  I'm half way there.


No comments:

Post a Comment