Tuesday, November 12, 2019

JOE RETREAT DAY TWO

The day started with a talk by Joe outling our project for the day.  I made a blind contour drawing of Joe.  That was fun.



Along with a great amount of fabric, the supply list said to bring a picture of a piece of art that we love.  I picked this painting by Kim VanderHoek, "4th Avenue Span."  I do love it.


Joe wanted us to write down 2 or 3 words to describe what we love about it.

I said, 'muted colors' and 'lost edges'.  I had to explain what I meant by lost edges to Joe.

Then, we were given our assignment, which was to make a 48" by 48" composition focusing on the word or words from our work of art.  I wanted to figure out how to make 'lost edges' from fabric.

I started by sewing three pieces of fabric together, then cutting them into strips and sewing them back together and staggering them to get uneven lines.

I made a bunch of them and just put them up on the wall.  Everyone else was already sewing things together and I was still making parts.

Here's the palette I choose: 



Included are a few beautiful hand-dyeds by Judy Robertson, some I dyed and/or printed and one of the fat quarters I bought on Sunday.  Oh, and a Kona solid.

Here's all I had done by the end of the day:


It was a little stressful - I had to take a break or two to stretch my legs and enjoy our beautiful view of the canal.



No comments:

Post a Comment