Friday, March 04, 2022

QUILTING CABIN QUILT

 I finally took the Cabin quilt out and started to finish the quilting.  This is a quilt I put together probably over 20 years ago, when I was at Pieces Quilt Shop.  

It's mostly plaids, browns and tans.  It is not a style I work in now.  But, it deserves to be finished.

I had started the quilting on it using a domestic machine.  It has basic outline stitching around most of the elements.  There were still safety pins in it.

The backing and batting had been trimmed, making it a little difficult to pin to the longarm leaders.  But once I got it on there, I was able to get the borders and sashing quilted.


I added a few motifs to some of the blank spots, too.  Still more to do.

I had some issues with tension.  It took a while, but I figured it out.  When I ran the bobbin through the Towa, it initially read at 300, which surprised me.  But I adjusted the tension on the bobbin case until it was down to 230 or so.  Then when I quilted the top tension was too tight, so I adjust it down.  It still looked very bad.  

Then I re-tested the bobbin tension.  This time, half way through the bobbin, it tested very low. So, I adjusted the bobbin case up to 220 where it should be.  Then adjusted the machine tension back up and it was back to making a beautiful stitch.  That was strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment