Friday, February 10, 2017

SOLSTICE #8 SORTA

The block for this week is 18" square instead of 12" square, like the rest have been.

I started this with a bundle of blue flannel fat quarters which are over 15 years old (which means I probably couldn't find anymore).

So, I've been concerned that I'll just barely have enough to finish the 25 blocks if they were all 12" blocks.

Pat showed the setting she has in mind and instead of doing that, I was thinking I'd just stick with a 5x5 or 6x4 setting (still thinking they'd be all 12" squares).  

Anyway, long story short, this block uses a lot of fabric.  It has three big hearts, the biggest of which would use up a half of a fat quarter.

So, I'm not doing that.  I'm just making a 12" square for now.  I'm going to think about what I want to do.  Some of the things I'm thinking about is:  just putting one heart in the square, or putting a 5-pointed star (I like stars more than hearts).  And if I was going to add another fabric or two, maybe even a red, then maybe the star should be red.  I don't know.  I'm going to let it stew for a while.

In the meantime, I need to start looking for plaid flannels that will go with.

This is the block as I made it.  Now I'm wishing I had just shrunk the 18" block down to 12" and made the whole thing.

This is the block as presented.

No comments:

Post a Comment