Saturday, October 17, 2020

PROCESS NOT PATTERN

Joe Cunningham's Quilt Freedom Workshop this month was about following a process instead of a pattern.  

He was broadcasting from the International Quilt Museum in Lincoln Nebraska.  He and the curator showed us several Log Cabin type quilts along with some cotton crazies. 




We all fell in love with this quilt.  Maybe I'll do something like this someday.

His assignment was to follow a few steps and create ten 6" blocks.  What we do with them is up to us. 

Starting with an approximate 7" square:

1. Add a strip.

2. Cut in half, flip one side and sew back together.

3. Remove one corner and replace with a different fabric.

4. Insert a strip.

Then square up to 6" squares.

Some of mine ended up as rectangles so I had to cut off the long side and add it back to the short side to make them big enough to make a 6" squares.  That just added more interest!

I loved making these.  I'm much more engaged in improvising than I would be if I was making the same block over and over.

Here are my first ten, I'm really looking forward to making some more. Maybe with different steps.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment