It quit raining, so I enlisted Darrell's help to move the big rock over a few feet. That exposed the last side of the plastic tub-pond and I was able to remove it from the ground. It came out a lot easier than I thought it would.
There was also a plastic liner that I had exposed, so I started to extracate it. That proved to be troublesome. There was dirt on top of the liner and big rocks folded into it. I couldn't figure out was was going on there, but I just kept removing material as I came upon it.
After some thought, I think what it was, was there was an original pond that was larger. Someone decided to make the pond smaller so they just threw a bunch of big rocks (and some garbage) and dirt over half of the liner and and folded the other half over that and covered the whole thing with dirt. Then with the remaining whole they inserted the plastic tub-pond.
So, it ended up less digging for me anyway. Once I got those rocks and liners out of there I had a pretty big hole....not big enough, but it's on its way to being a pond.
|The old liner with rocks underneath it.|
|They threw in dirt and garbage to fill the hole.|
|Working away at extracating the old liner.|
|A lot of rocks came out of that hole...and under the plastic liner was a blue blanket liner I had to dig out also.|
|That's the old tub upside down and some of the garbage that came out of the hole.|
|Here's what it looks like at the end of the day. The big rock is on the upper left. Most of these smaller rocks came out of the hole. You can kind of see the hole. My new pond will cover that whole area, up to where the loose rocks are.|
Lots of digging left to do. Tomorrow.