Sunday, April 09, 2023

NOT EXACTLY LIKE JOE'S

 I started working on what was supposed to be the project Joe showed us yesterday in his Quilt Freedom Workshop.  I wanted to make something that would work with my other 'Gifts' blocks.  That meant more orderly, less improv-y.  I made a strip set but didn't want to cut into it until I knew how it would look.

I made a simulation of the strip set on paper, then experimented with it.  This first one is more like Joe demonstrated.  It ends up looking like jagged lightning.



But I cut the complete strip set like this, and liked it a lot better.  


So I cut the strip set into 4" sections then cut them diagonally and sewed them back together.  Then I laid them out to see how that would look.  I was surprised at how long they would be.


I experimented with how they'd look if I sewed them back together crookedly.


Then I cut one of the units diagonally the other direction and sewed it back together.


This was interesting.  I'm going to sleep on it and decide what to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment