Monday, May 17, 2021

LITTLE TOP

 I started with just a yard of fabric.  It was a piece I picked up while we were visiting Charleston South Carolina.  I purchased it from a little quilt shop in a cinder-block building, Stitch-n-Sew.  I thought the fabric reminded me of the area.  Bright yellow background, reminiscent of the bright sunshine, with boldly colored sea creatures reminding me of being so close to the sea (no alligators though).  I paired this bright yellow with a violet-blue solid for Joe's project this month.

The yellow fabric was cut into 6" squares and the blue into (more or less) 1" strips.  I did eventually trade out the solid blue for two other print fabrics of the same hue to seem more 'make-do'.

Someone used the term 'coping strips' in the class when talking about adding a strip of fabric to make the square big enough.  Joe really like that, I do too.  I hope it catches on. [Maybe I'll name the quilt 'Coping']

So, this was as big as it was going to get with using just that one yard of yellow fabric.  I ended up with 36 6" squares.  But I used only 35.

It is 27.5" by 38.5" - - -


I just love that 'tomato red' - maybe I should use that color on the backing, or maybe a blue and yellow pin-dot.  [You know, you can never find the fabric you have in your mind.]


No comments:

Post a Comment